An exciting opportunity for an experienced fundraiser exists within our organisation. The position will be based at our Johannesburg office in Parktown and we are looking for an individual with a proven track record, a strong sense of social responsibility and a commitment to transformational development. The successful professional needs to be able to position GTI as key player in the renaissance of education in South Africa, Africa and the world at large. This includes but is not limited to prospecting, donor development, proposal writing, relationship management and programme reporting. The fundraiser will be accountable directly to the Managing Director and work closely with the Business Development Manager, Future Leader Programme Manager and Operations Manager.
The Global Teachers Institute (GTI) is a teacher development organisation dedicated to strengthening teacher capacity and the quality of schooling in South Africa and across the world by changing the way teachers are trained. GTI aims to empower student teachers, school leaders and educational organizations by offering a range of programs that refocus teacher training and professional development on the principles of classroom excellence, consciousness development, and social responsibility.
Private and Public Sector Fundraising
- Develop new donor relationships for GTI through your established networks and prospect development
- Manage the current GTI funder database – relationships, proposals and reports
- Develop concept notes, grant proposals and reports for a range of funders, including government departments, foundations, corporations and individual donors whilst working in collaboration with the Managing Director and fundraising team
- Contribute to the development and improvement of the organisation’s fundraising strategy.
- Conduct regular trend and gap analyses for funding landscapes and keep up to date on opportunities through current and new funders
- Identify and nurture possible funding sources through the development of a diverse portfolio of prospects, including corporations, foundations, government agencies and HNWI
- Quality-assure proposals, monthly and annual reports before submission to funding partners in collaboration with the Knowledge Management team
- Maintain a donor database, reporting schedule, coordinate and edit quarterly and annual funding reports with inputs from relevant project and programme teams within the organisation
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the GTI Summit and various events
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- A relevant university degree (or equivalent qualification) and at least 2 years’ experience in CSI and foundations fundraising
- Donor relationship management experience
- Proven ability to independently generate leads, build relationships and request funding from various funding sources
- Previous fundraising or sales experience, including face to face fundraising, is preferred
- Good knowledge of the South African CSI landscape and experience working with international donor agencies
- Exceptional negotiation skills, capable of handling rejection and quickly move on
- Excellent communication skills, creativity and the ability to develop new ways to fundraise for our various lines of work
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work under time pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong writing and reporting skills
- Reliable, adaptable, energetic, positive attitude and high levels of self-motivation
- Ability to travel
- Valid driver’s license and reliable car
- Commitment to deliver on GTI’s mission and values
Please direct all applications to the HR Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org and include ‘GTI Fundraiser’ in the subject line attaching a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, a recent professional writing sample (proposal, report, newsletter etc) and expected salary. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Telephone: 087 803 0175