About the Organisation
Global Teachers Institute is one of South Africa’s leading non-profit organisations providing youth from under-resourced communities an alternative pathway to the traditional contact universities to become teachers. Our flagship Future Leaders Programme offers paid teaching assistant internships at rural and township schools in five provinces in South Africa. At the same time, interns also complete their B.Ed. degree via UNISA with support from GTI.
About the Job
We are looking for a seasoned Executive Director to lead a team to grow GTI from our current fledgeling public-private partnership with the Department of Basic Education and private funders to have a national presence in the medium-term African footprint over the next decade. This position is ideal for a visionary leader committed to social justice and equity in education who can work with a young leadership to take an emerging organisation to maturity and help write a new story for education on our continent.
- Developing and executing the GTI strategies in order to attain the goals and objectives determined with the full agreement of the Board
- Providing strategic leadership to the Board and Board Chairperson to ensure they have an accurate view of the landscape and the future work of the GTI
- Recruiting and developing staff members with the appropriate capabilities and potential to become outstanding managers and advocates of the work of the GTI
- Delegating responsibilities and supervising the work of staff, providing guidance and motivation to drive maximum performance
- Preparing and implementing comprehensive operational plans to facilitate achievement by planning cost-effective operations and market development activities
- Ensuring GTI policies and legal guidelines are communicated and adhered to at all levels of the organisation.
- Communicating, developing and maintaining trust relationships with all relevant stakeholders, business partners and education entities and authorities
- Overseeing GTI’s financial management, operating systems and new ventures
- Developing and implementing a performance management system that ensures individual accountabilities are clarified and monitored
- Representing the GTI in public forums and to represent the GTI as a public relations representative in ways that strengthen its profile and operations
Essential requirements for the Executive Director are:
- Minimum of 10 years of overall professional experience, of which at least 5 years as a director or senior managerial position
- Relevant academic degree/s including business administration
- Demonstrated experience in developing strategic and business plans
- Thorough knowledge of the education landscape and forces that influence the work of the GTI
- Strong understanding of financial management and measures of performance
- Familiarity with labour law and management best practices
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities
Applicant high-level strength requirements:
- The ideal candidate will be a reflective strategist, an effective manager, and a dynamic leader able to steer the GTI to the most sustainable direction while also implementing its vision, mission and long-term goals.
- Very strong crisis management skills will also be essential since the organisation is in a quality-driven growth phase, moving beyond initial start-up successes.
- The goal is to ensure the GTI is constantly moving towards fulfilling its short-term and long-term objectives and does not diverge from its strategic framework.
Desired requirements for the Executive Director are:
- Experience as an educator at the head of the department level or higher
- Relevant Master’s degree or equivalent NQF Level 9 qualification
To apply, submit your full application to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 31st May 2023. Your application should contain:
- A one-page cover letter motivating your suitability to the position
- A maximum three-page Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- All qualifications obtained.
- All work experience, with detailed reference
- A minimum of 3 references from previous employers.
- Your availability (we plan on making the appointment to start on 1 August 2023)