The Global Teachers Society (GTS) is a new initiative of the Global Teachers Institute to extend its work beyond its current teacher development programmes and the annual Axis Summit. We wish to build an inclusive community of practice of aspiring teachers across South Africa along with experienced in-service teachers who can support new entrants into the profession by acting as mentors.
GTS will build a set of benefits over the coming months which will include:
- Access to GTI’s teacher development resources and systems
- Opportunities for local and international travel through short internships and fellowships
- Priority access to GTI events such as the annual GTI Axis Summit as well as partner events
GTS membership will be offered in the following four ways:
- Aspiring Teachers: Individual students studying towards a B.Ed. or associated degree, or towards a PGCE.
- In-Service Teachers: Individual teachers who are currently teaching or have retired who are prepared to act as mentors.
- Partner Organisation: GTS will offer bulk memberships to interested organizations who run teacher internship and related teacher development programmes.
- University Chapters: GTI will aim to establish GTS chapters at all major universities over the next few years.