The programme is now recruiting aspiring teachers to enrol into the programme as intern teachers starting in 2019. Deadline for application is 17 August 2018.
Each intern accepted into the programme will be placed in a participating host school, be paired with an experienced mentor and receive ongoing professional development and support for the duration of their B.Ed or PGCE degree.
Intern teachers will receive:
- Individual mentoring
- Weekly training and professional development
- Classroom team teaching
- Academic support
- Domestic and international travel opportunities
Two degree programmes are offered:
- 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (B Ed), specialising in Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3), Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6), Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9) and FET Phase (Grade 10-12).
- One-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) for graduates.
Preference will be given to candidates who pursue majors in accounting, sciences, mathematics and languages in Intermediate/Senior phases, or in an indigenous African language for Foundation phase.
Minimum requirements for the programme are:
- A Bachelor’s Pass (or Exemption) in Matric
- Between the ages of 18 – 25 years (as at 1 January 2019)
- Proficient in English
- Live near GTI’s host school intake areas:
- Alexandra, Diepsloot, Ga-Rankuwa (Gauteng)
- Langa, Philippi, Delft/Mitchell’s Plain (W. Cape)
- Inanda (Kwazulu-Natal)
- Jane Furse (Limpopo)
Full and partial bursaries are available and awarded based on need and merit. To apply, please download the application pack and submit with the documentation required by 17 August 2018.